[Spellyans] tavas

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu May 16 10:34:18 IST 2013

On 16 May 2013, at 10:23, Craig Weatherhill <craig at agantavas.org> wrote:

> How do we know that it's "not correct"?

We know because we understand linguistic processes.

1. /y/ and /ø/ are rounded versions of /i/ and /e/.

1a. Put your lips in the position to say "oo" as in "spoon" and have your tongue say "ee" as in "street" and you will go from /u/ to /y/

1b. Put your lips in the position to say "oo" as in "spoon" and have your tongue say "ai" as in "strait" and you will go from /u/ to /ø/

2. We know that rounded vowels unround in many languages. Compare German Vögel [ˈføːɡəl] to Yiddish Fegel [ˈfeːɡəl].

3. We can see from the orthography in the MC and LC texts that this process operated in Cornish. There is no question of this. No linguist disputes it.