[Spellyans] tavas

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Thu May 16 11:48:03 IST 2013

Are there any contrasting pairs of words where the only difference is the vowel, /y/ versus /ø/?

There may have been these two sounds in Cornish but modern speakers may find it difficult to distinguish them.
Many people say “street” and “strait” to sound the much the same, so the “spoon” feeding method of tuition fails for those people.
You really need sound recordings to get the right sound. Could sound files be attached to the e-mails? I’m sure that we have the technology to do that by now.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim