[Spellyans] tavas

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Sat May 18 13:24:29 IST 2013

ow(th) and (w)orth are sometimes omitted in SA:

Insted rag henn a boos, e ma ef agyn maga gans e kegg e honyn 'and instead of that for food he feeds us with his own flesh' SA 59
a thew, disquethis theny, vgy setha in gwlas neff 'of God shown to us, who sits in the kingdom of heaven' SA 60
Indella emovns hy dishonora Christ pan vonsy y recevia ef hae corf benegas ef gans dowla mustethas 'Thus they dishonour Christ when they receive him and his blessed body with unclean hands' SA 61.

On the other hand the scribe of SA frequently writes ow as <o>:

ha vo o sevall rebta 'who is standing near him' SA 60
ema Chrisostom o leverall 'Chrysostom says' SA 60
[e]thesa ve o disquethas these 'I show you' SA 60
pavanar sort esta o qvelas agen saviour Christ 'how you perceive our Saviour Christ' SA 60a
in delma ema ef o tisquethas 'thus he shows' SA 61
Phoceus ema o leverall 'Photius, he says' SA 61
ha eweth ethesan ny o recevia 'and also we receive' SA 61
te a wele an Crefder a gere Christ o conys 'you see the power of Christ's word working' SA 62
mas gwra clowas dew o cowse 'but hear God speaking' SA 62a.

This spelling may partially be used in order to distinguish the particle from ow for ew 'is', which also occurs in SA.
I certainly wouldn't recommend writing ow as <o> myself.

Nicholas