[Spellyans] a vry

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 8 09:50:31 GMT 2013

After your invitation to draw up a list of problems back in May, I went through chapter 40 of DK again. But at this stage I think that the lack of flexibility isn't just to do with individual examples. There is a more basic problem because firstly, you still consider as a mere question of orthography something that a linguist would consider grammatical  on a morphological level. You said that "me a wrug"  is grammatically the same as "me wrug".  They are not the same. The first has 3 morphemes and the second only two. "ow tesky" has 2 morphemes and "tesky" only one. That is how language is described.  You also say that it isn't true that the normal sequence for learning a modern foreign language is to start with the spoken form. In UK schools this is indeed the practice, and the younger the pupils, the more spoken language comes first. Many Cornish learners do have to learn at a distance from books but without audio input, their chance of achieving fluency is small.

There is a hope to get Cornish into schools and this is what is worrying. I just don't think that using UC based forms and spellings is the best way to do it. And I don't think that deciding what forms/spellings are to appear in print should be matter for  purely editorial decision. At the very least, they should be discussed, item by item if necessary and to be fair, you do suggest this. There is great freedom in the Welsh press for authors to write what forms they think best to reflect the spoken language and even the area it comes from. In children's books this can make for a very lively dialogue and popular reading. The narrative part of the text would be less informal. I refer here particularly to Gomer's  'Cyfres Cawdel'  There is no suggestion of what "we should write" even if it doesn't reflect the pronunciation. When I say that KS seems somewhat inflexible, this is what I mean.
Chris