[Spellyans] a vry

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 14:25:38 GMT 2013

Of course. My only point was that the phrase a vry should be replaced by a bris.
This is similar to the view that in kever should not be used but in y gever is all right.

On a different point:
Does anyone consider hethow or hedhow 'today' to be a distinctively LC form?
I ask, because hezow (hethow) is in PA:

hezow pan ezys yn mes
cleves vyth nyth kemerse PA 57d.

So much of what we consider Late Cornish is found in the earlier language.

We think dhe why 'to you' is Late but ze wy, zewy occurs five times in PA.

We think of danen 'to send' as Late, but the scribe of PA uses it:
Thy gour hy a zanonas PA 123a.

Some people believe lyver and tyller are Middle Cornish, whereas lever and tellar are Late.
Levar 'book' occurs in PA and teller, tellar are found in PA, the Ordinalia, BM and TH.

We think of kenyver tra 'everything' as Late Cornish but note:
a vernans crist pan welse
kynyuer tra marthusy PA 208b

The use of disjunctive pronouns as the object of a verb is a Late feature, e.g.
Ha Deu goras gi en ebron neve JBoson

Or is it?

arluth prag y hysta vy PA 201c

ha mar tene leverall na russyn peha,
ny a ra eff gowak TH 8

and

arluth, te a wore henna, fatell caraff ve ge TH 43.

The difference between Middle and Late Cornish is very largely a question of orthography.

Nicholas