[Spellyans] a vry

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 6 19:54:28 GMT 2013

I think we have already covered this ground in a discussion in May. Late
Cornish as I understand it was  the spoken Cornish which Lhuyd and many
contemporaries attempted to collect and record before the language was lost.
It of course differs in its orthography (ies?) from Middle and Tudor Cornish
and that has continued to be a problem for some time.  In 'Desky Kernowek',
as I have pointed out before, when you standardised the Late spellings of
many of the useful samples of Cornish that you gave, you in fact deleted
numerous characteristics of the spoken language which had been originally
collected. Is this because you don't recognise the distinction, or the
importance of the distinction? Or that you think the spoken language is
somehow substandard? Richard Gendall gave up on UC because he didn't see it
producing very many fluent speakers after long years of teaching. So he
turned to Late Cornish thinking that would be a better starting point, but
got bogged down in problems of orthography. RLC users are at last getting
this sorted. When we discuss our problems of spelling, grammar, idioms,
usage etc. we would value your support. And we know that Middle, Tudor and
Late Cornish are all one language.

Chris