[Spellyans] a vry

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Nov 7 18:33:00 GMT 2013

Lhuyd used what could be termed a "phonetic code", slightly complicated by the fact he had a couple of assistants who applied their own interpretations of that.

Nonetheless, Dick Gendall did a detailed study of this in 1989 and published his findings as "The Pronunciation of Cornish".  As Lhuyd spent many years in Oxford, it's likely that the sounds of English he refers to when comparing the phonics was that which was spoken there.
Gendall acknowledged that even that form of English was spoken differently in 1700 and referred to E.J. Dobson's 1957 book, "English Pronunciation 1500-1700".

The results are very pleasing, and don't sound like an Englishman attempting another tongue (as heard all too often at the annual Gorsedd), compare well with the sounds used by our older native residents in West Cornwall, and are very much what you hear when Dick, Dan Prohaska and Neil Kennedy are speaking in Cornish.

Craig