[Spellyans] holergh

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sat Nov 9 14:10:14 GMT 2013

This has to do with whether pre-tonic Proto-British */ɔː/ (Proto-Celtic *ā) was shortened early, later (after the stress shift) or not at all. Schrijver has written extensively about it in his "Stdies in British Celtic Historical Phonology" (Amsterdam/Atlanta, 1995). Might be worth checking out.

As far as the prefixes he- ~ ho- (< *se- , *so-) go, I think (if memory serves) he said that all British dialects (which later evolved into Western British then Welsh, and South-Western British then Cornish and Breton) shortened the vowel in these pre-tonic prefixes. But I'll have to check again.

Dan