[Spellyans] Nicholas William's Comments on SWF Glossary

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Nov 14 10:26:05 GMT 2013

That's very heartening to hear.  Although I have a copy of 'Desky Kernowek', I've yet to see 'Geryow Gwir'  (I need a few nice payments from clients first!).  Who knows - we might get a workable SWF yet!

As you know, being advisor to the Signage Panel, I have to work within SWF and, at times, it's a struggle to be comfortable with it, and I remain very sore that Trad. graphs continue to be sidelined into extinction.  The place-name Masterlist is only being compiled in Main Form, which has forced me into keeping and compiling a duplicate list which has both Main and Trad. forms.

I'm happy to say that, from the point of view of historicity, much more sense is being applied to that subject than would have the case 5 or 6 years ago, and my presence on the Panel, armed with my own researches, is proving to be worthwhile.  (There were times, early on, when I came close to withdrawing altogether).  To date, the list now contains about 1500 names.   Of those, I oppose 5, and question - to varying degrees - about 12.   Which, overall, is a hugely better result than I feared would be the case.

Craig