[Spellyans] Frisian orthography

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Fri Nov 15 09:33:36 GMT 2013

Ewab,

With pleasure. All the dabbling in Frisian is well worth it for all kinds of reasons! While I would agree that Frisian preserves certain features that link it most closely to English (except Scots, of course), we must not forget that Low Saxon (= Low German) is equally close to English. While it has been reshaped considerably by the inland dialects, the coastal dialects once showed features that were typically "Ingvaeonic" (North-Sea Germanic) and shared these with English and Frisian, such as palatalisation of /g/ and /k/ before front vowels, raising of /a/, and many other features. In terms of relative chronology English isn't closer to Frisian than it is to Low Saxon, then English "leaves" the common dynamics of development while Frisian and Low Saxon continue to develop similarly… There's tons of literature on the subject, both in German and English...

Dan