[Spellyans] Frisian orthography

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 13:45:11 GMT 2013

Sulis really means 'Eye' and is feminine so can be applied to a female deity. Cf. Irish súil 'eye'. The word originally meant 'sun', and is cognate with Cornish howl.
The basic meaning was 'sun' (cf. Gk hêlios) and was later used for 'eye' in Goidelic.
How then was the sense of 'eye, watcher' used in Scilly and Bath?
I don't think that the semantics of the word have really been worked out properly for Celtic.