[Spellyans] Frisian orthography

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Fri Nov 15 14:01:47 GMT 2013

I can't offer a judgement for Bath, but in Scilly, it's most likely to refer to a perceived watcher over mariners on the hazardous journey to and from the mainland.  A mariners' shrine of Late Iron Age-Roman period date, was excavated on the island of Nornour, close to the then landing place in a former inlet between the island and St Martin's, and containing a wealth of votive offerings.  The literal meaning might well be "eye", but implies vision.  The element also appears in names like Eselt (from the Tristan legend), ad-siltia, "to be gazed upon" or, literally "at-gazed-she" (similar to the Greek Miranda).

Craig