[Spellyans] The two roles of â (a-circumflex) in Kernowek Standard

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Wed Sep 18 15:31:05 IST 2013

We expect the SWF to be revised after 5 years, so it is sensible to see what
they do first before revising KS -- but here are some thoughts:

According to "Desky Kernowek", the word for "alive" is spelt 'bew' in KS.

In any natural language, we expect some anomalies. It is not necessary to
make the orthography watertight (though it helps.)
KS does not write the word for "Cornish" as 'Kernôwek' / 'Kernêwek', nor
does it write "I see" as 'mÿ a wel' / 'më a wel', nor "is" / "are" / "am" as
'ÿw' / 'ëw'.

KS does not write the word for "and" as 'hàg', nor the word for "for" as
'ràg' (perhaps because these are always unstressed.)  Yet KS spells the word
for "so" as 'dell' (which is also unstressed, so the 'e' must be short
without the second 'l'. This is done because "leaves" is 'del' with a long
'e'.)

However, in practice, these anomalies do not seem to matter. I would not
seek to change them.

KS does not spell "they" as 'y' (with a long vowel) any differently from
"his" as 'y' (with a short vowel) or from "verbal particle" as 'y' (with an
obscure vowel.)  Perhaps that is a candidate for change.

You could write the alternation 'yw / 'ew ' as 'yu' / 'eu' instead. That
would give "alive" as 'byu' / 'beu', "is" / "are" / "am" as 'yu' / 'eu',
"twice" as 'dyuweyth' / 'deuweyth', and "today" as 'hedhyu' / 'hedheu'. The
endings '-ewgh' and '-ywgh' would become '-eugh' and '-yugh' in cases where
there is alternation.

Of course, if you were to do that, you would need a different spelling for
the vowel that is currently written 'eu'. This has two pronunciations. It's
a good candidate for 'ü'. (Remember my two dots for two pronunciations
rule?)  The spelling for "I have" becomes 'yʼm büs', "full" becomes 'lün',
and "how much?" becomes 'pysül?'.

You would be using all of: 'ä', 'ë', 'ö', 'ü', 'ÿ' -- and using them
consistently, each for a vowel that has two pronunciations.
Perhaps I'm being too radical! Nyʼm dür!

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim