[Spellyans] The two roles of â (a-circumflex) in Kernowek Standard

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Sep 18 21:30:32 IST 2013

On 16 Sep 2013, at 11:30, Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Or is it too late to change KS?

What do you think? Here is the word-count of titles published or soon to be published in this orthography:

Adro dhe'n Bÿs in Peswar Ugas Dëdh     7,105
Alys in Pow an Anethow                30,800
An Beybel Sans                       784,946
Best Goon Brèn                         2,683
Devocyon an Greryow                  103,601
Enys Tresour                          78,318
Flehes an Hens Horn                   68,015
Gwerryans an Planettys                67,872
Jowal Lethesow                        63,256
Kensa Lyver Redya                      5,430
Ky Teylu Baskerville                  64,323
Lyver Pejadow rag Kenyver Jorna        5,986
Whedhlow ha drollys a Gernow Goth     10,151
Whedhlow Kernowek                     26,952
[not yet published]                   72,827
[not yet published]                   67,021
[not yet published]                   42,852

Total: 1,502,138 words.

On top of this there is Skeul an Tavas, Desky Kernowek, and Geryow Gwir.

So, what do you think?

Changes to an orthography ought to be motivated to solve actual problems. For my part I do not believe that the "problem" of cân, glân, gwlân, clâv, gwâv, hâv, âls, fâls, brâs, and tâl is so great that either cån, glån, gwlån, clåv, gwåv, håv, åls, fåls, brås, and tål or cän, glän, gwlän, cläv, gwäv, häv, äls, fäls, bräs, and täl would be an improvement. I think these words are learnt easily.