[Spellyans] The two roles of â (a-circumflex) in Kernowek Standard

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Wed Sep 18 22:44:30 IST 2013

So for KS, I would have:

adäl    facing
als    a joint
äls    a cliff
bras    a plot
bräs    great
cän    a song
cänn    a shine (This is an exception.)
cläv    sick
fäls    a sickle / a split / false
glàn    a margin
glän    clean
Gwäv    Winter
gwlän    wool
Häv    Summer
täl    a brow / owes

The above 15 words can be learnt in a day.

The rules for 'â' are now simplified: The length of any vowel is dependent
on its syllabic position, its stress and its following letters. Wherever 'a'
is long but the rules say it should be short, it is marked 'â', else long
'a' is unmarked.

Having the following, as well, is not a problem:
a    verbal particle
â    goes
da    good
dâ / dhâ    thy