[Spellyans] The two roles of â (a-circumflex) in Kernowek Standard

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 08:44:52 IST 2013

On 18 September 2013 22:30, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:
> On 16 Sep 2013, at 11:30, Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Or is it too late to change KS?
>
> What do you think?

Right now, the SWF is being revised after the initial five-year
"frozen/stable" period.

If the SWF should make changes, will KS change as well to track those
changes, in order to remain close to the SWF and broadly compatible
with it?

Though I suppose nobody can answer that question until the number,
scope, and nature of the changes to the SWF is published.

Perhaps another way to ask the question is whether KS is "SWF with the
warts removed/ambiguities disambiguated" (as I understood it was at
the beginning), or whether it is its own orthography at this point,
which originated in the SWF but now feels no connection to it (nor a
need to remain compatible with it).

> Here is the word-count of titles published or soon to be published in this orthography:
[snip]
> Total: 1,502,138 words.
>
> On top of this there is Skeul an Tavas, Desky Kernowek, and Geryow Gwir.
>
> So, what do you think?

Since I was under the impression that KS was essentially "SWF Amendys"
(SWFR?), I used to think it was a bit premature to publish so much in
an orthography whose base was not stabilised (since it was always
known that changes to the SWF may occur in 2013).

Now I'm not so sure about my premise (i.e. about whether KS is still
based on the SWF).

> I think these words are learnt easily.

Yes, once the student is aware of them. Thanks!

Cheers,
Philip
--
Philip Newton <philip.newton at gmail.com>