[Spellyans] The two roles of â (a-circumflex) in Kernowek Standard

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 11:38:02 IST 2013

On 19 September 2013 11:19, Christian Semmens
<christian.semmens at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maga has a new SWF dictionary with IPA, but the pronunciation for RMC is
> pretty much KK.

That sounds like good news!

However, on a quick perusal of their site, I was unable to find it
(just the two PDFs of the school dictionary and the May 2012 general
dictionary).

Do you have a link for me?

(As an aside, Maga seems to have an awful habit of breaking their
links; many is the time where I followed a link from, say, a Wikipedia
article only to end up on an error page.)

> Also I note that the IPA fro both RMC and RLC seems to specify that all
> words with an r in them should be pronounced as fully rolled [r] with no
> mention of [ɹ] or [ɾ] in any words that I looked at.
>
> However, I have looked at a lot of IPA in other Cornish dictionaries after I
> noticed this and most seem to specify [r], so am I misunderstanding the
> sound of [r]? Or are we really being asked to pronounce Cornish 'r's rolled?

As I understand it, when using IPA one generally uses the simplest
available letter unless a distinction is necessary, so [r] is not
uncommon for "the 'r' sound" if there is only one in the language,
even if it's not the sound prototypically associated with the IPA [r].
(Similarly, the English vowel of TRAP is not sometimes notated with
[a] rather than [æ].)

> http://www.cornishdictionary.org.uk/

Ah, is that Maga's? I see.

Thanks!