[Spellyans] The two roles of â (a-circumflex) in Kernowek Standard

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 13:29:28 IST 2013

In Cornish dialect I have only heard [ɹ], but then I understand you get [ɾ]
in St. Ives? I must admit I haven't heard it, but then again I haven't
heard a Cornish accent in St Ives for a good few years! That's the trouble
with only being there in the Summer. :)

It is important for a rhotic accent that these sounds are identified. KK in
it's early days specified [r]. I'll never forget Graham Sandercock trying
to pronounce Cornish words with that sound in the tapes for "Holewgh an
Lergh" that I bought in the Early 90's. I still have them somewhere.

So some people want [r] (KK) most use [ɹ] and some require the odd [ɾ].
Without precision, there will be simply guesswork.

Christian