[Spellyans] The two roles of â (a-circumflex) in Kernowek Standard

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Sep 19 22:43:35 IST 2013

On 19 Sep 2013, at 02:19, Christian Semmens <christian.semmens at gmail.com> wrote:

> However, I have looked at a lot of IPA in other Cornish dictionaries after I noticed this and most seem to specify [r], so am I misunderstanding the sound of [r]? Or are we really being asked to pronounce Cornish 'r's rolled?

The IPA has a full set of symbols for various rhotic consonants but often unless a language has contrasts just [r] is used. In KS we follow the practice of writing [ɹ] generally but [ɾ] intervocalically, which seems to also have been a feature of traditional (English) Cornish dialect. Cornish spoken with this distribution has an authentic and pleasing sound to it. This practice we took over from fluent RLC speakers.