[Spellyans] SWF review results.

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sat Apr 5 12:21:32 IST 2014

On 4 Apr 2014, at 22:57, A. J. Trim <ajtrim at msn.com> wrote:

> Issue: (53) Final <i> / <ei> variants.
> Proposal for resolution:: Recommended: Remain as is. It would be beneficial to resolve this into one grapheme, but difficult to see how. Scale of recognition: 1.8% (1 respondent):
>
> Why is it difficult to see how <-y> could be used as an umbrella graph "to resolve this into one grapheme”?

Because final ‹y› isn’t always a part of the class of why/whei words.

> After all <-y> is not used for anything else in word-final position.

Yes, it is. Unstressed final ‹y› is usually pronounced [i], as in gocky.

> It could stand for both pronunciations here.

I agree with you. The number of stressed monosyllables in the why/whei class is not very large; neither is the number of stressed monosyllables in the y-only class. The small bit of orthographic ambiguity here is outweighed by our preference for authentic word-shapes. (The SWF expects us to write whi/whei.)