[Spellyans] SWF review results.

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Mon Apr 7 12:27:32 IST 2014

I will have to disagree.   Textual Cornish is painfully limited.  Every scrap of Cornish written while the language remained a community tongue has to be considered and evaluated, and includes place-name records.  They simply can't be tossed aside as worthless, and ignored.

The Middle Cornish period, before visiting cartographers and travelling recorders like John Leland (1515), has place-name records which were, in all likelihood, written by Cornish scribes.  In my opinion, that makes them valuable textual evidence.  We cannot afford to pick, choose and discard at will.
We have no guarantee that all the scribes at Glasney were Cornish - there were many English churchmen here during that period.  We just assume that they were.

For me, the motto of the Old Cornwall Societies must apply:  "Cuntellewgh an brewyon eus gesys na vo kellys travyth".  "Gather the fragments so that nothing be lost".  ALL the fragments.

Craig