[Spellyans] SWF review results.

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Apr 7 14:16:51 IST 2014

On 7 Apr 2014, at 11:01, Janice Lobb <janicelobb at gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive me for being dense, but how can your "scribal tradition" possibly apply to later Cornish with a separation of several hundred years? Surely place names are much more closely related.

The term “scribal tradition” has to do with the orthography used and developed for the Cornish language. This is simply not the same thing as the orthography used for many place-nameas as heard, or mis-heard, by monoglot English speakers who wrote them down according to the

To use an Irish example, there is a world of difference between “Baile an tSaoir” and “Ballinteer”. Both give you information about the language, and the second would be invaluable if the first had been lost. But this does not mean that “ee” is a valid graph within the Gaelic scribal tradition.

> In Late Cornish we are more interested in the language as it was last spoken than in some idealistic literary pinnacle.

In my opinion this distinction is largely false. There are elements of grammar and phonology present in both the earliest and latest Cornish materials.