[Spellyans] SWF review results.

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 08:44:18 IST 2014

I'm reminded of that delightfully wry song, 'Sounding Brass,' from Flanders and Swann, which begins:

Society frowns at blowing one's own trumpet
But we've a game that merits no rebuke
If someone's got a tub, we're going to thump it.
It's more fun than playing polo with the Duke.
The object is to Gunga-din your neighbour
"I'm a better man than you"'s the acid test
So man the good ship one-up
Let's do a social ton-up
And bang our status symbols with the best

Playing on the status symbols
Laying out the ready cash
Bigger, Better, Newer, Smarter
Hear the status symbols clash.

(Full lyrics at: http://www.nyanko.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fas/anotherhat_brass.html).

One might like to consider the thought that, when having a discussion with friends, colleagues and neighbours, the object is NOT to "Gunga-din" them. Save that for targetting the Emskemmynnyonn!

Michael, don't be self-righteously argumentative, please; Craig feels offended, and there's no point whatsoever arguing that he shouldn't be (since YOU, of course, were RIGHT all along). Think 'gasoline on flames', eh? Just swallow your pride and say, "I'm sorry, mate, for any offence I may have caused / Edrek a'm bus mar teffen vy ha'th annya, sos."

And a conciliatory word to Dan might not go amiss either, my friend.

Dha gothman lel,

Eddie Climo