[Spellyans] SWF review results.

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Apr 8 15:32:23 IST 2014

Ok, lads, let's end it there.  I accept Michael's apology, but I don't want to see my observations put down so readily again.  Michael may not have meant it, but I read a measure contempt in his response.  I may not have letters after my name, but surely my decades of work count for something.  I did, after all, manage to get a limited use of <au> into the SWF place-name policy.

With regard to <oe>, I still maintain that it is not a Kemmynism but was a graph frequently used in historical Cornish.  I understand opposition or resistance to it, but we did adopt <eu>, <-ewgh> and <dhywgh>  which can also be argued as Kemmynisms, although, again, there is plenty of historical precedent for each one.  As for whether place-name evidence can be regarded as "textual Cornish", let's just agree that "tota Cornicitas" should mean just that.  I just think we should allow ourselves more flexibility in our thinking.  We're all after the same goal when all's said and done.

Craig