[Spellyans] Falmouth

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Mon Apr 28 12:24:53 IST 2014

According to George (GKK 1993),  /Aberfal/ is a neologism that originated with Julian Holmes.  /Aber/ is found in the  /Vocabularium Cornicum/ and Lhuyd (1707: 4b) gives "† aber". The dagger symbol indicates that Lhuyd got this word from the  /Vocabularium Cornicum/. Lhuyd writes that  /aber/ is  "now disus'd by the Cornish, but still understood by the Welsh." Since not all the glosses in the  /Vocabularium/ are Cornish (see my recent paper in  /Zeitschrift für Celtische Philologie/), it is not safe to assume that  /aber/ even existed in Old Cornish.
Ol an gwella,
Jon