[Spellyans] Falmouth

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 18:38:48 IST 2014

The Cussel favour Falmeth because it is found in O. Pender's letter of 1711. On the other hand <or Widnack> is found ca 1705, so is also a LC form.

In both Desky Kernowek and Geryow Gwir I point out that *Bro Sows and *Pow Sows are both unattested and that the only attested names for
England are either Pow an Sowson (Pou an Zouzn AB: 42c) or Inglond (Ynglonde TH 51; englond TH 51; Englond TH 51).
In MAGA's online dictionary http://www.cornishdictionary.org.uk
the only name given for England is Inglond. I wonder what purist users of the dictionary think of that.

Bro 'country' is also of course found in the modern Bro Goth agan Tasow.

It is attested only once in the texts: yn pub tyller dris an vro PA 250b.
The default word in Cornish for 'country' is pow.

Bro Goth agan Tasow is, of course, based on the Welsh Hen Wlad fy Nhadau
which contains the line:
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri "Land of poets and singers, famous people of note".
Nance seems to have liked the phrase o fri and to have calqued it in Cornish as a vry
(see his 1951 dictionary s.v. 'important'; he thought that gwil vry was for gwil a vry, which is doubtful).
*A vry is nowhere attested; the attested phrase meaning 'significant, important' is a bris (UC a brys) < pris 'price', which is
attested six times (I give all the examples in Geryow Gwir. They are to be found in PA, OM, PC, BM and Keigwin. It would appear then that the phrase is found throughout the texts and at different periods.

Nicholas