[Spellyans] Falmouth

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Apr 29 18:24:45 IST 2014

Cornish place-names have two words describing river estuaries:  Logh and Heyl.

LOGH generally describes deep water rias, such as are found along Cornwall's south coast.  Cove names with "loe", e.g. Portloe, Veryan; and Porth Loe, St Levan are nowhere found with  -gh, and may well be <lo>, "spoon" from their shape.

HEYL is found more often along the north coast, and describes estuaries which, at low water, largely dry out to leave expanses of sand or mud.

Both Falmouth and Plymouth are on deep water rias, and therefore Logh- is the only appropriate generic.  So, <Loghfala> and <Loghplym>.

Craig