[Spellyans] SWF Y (was Re: Falmouth)

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Wed Apr 30 12:16:03 IST 2014

Philip,
My statement does not entail criticism being restricted to criticism by academics. I reiterate that if the SWF is academically sound, it will continue to be criticised.
Of course, it is important to recognise that there are competing orthographic ideologies within the Cornish language community. The SWF must serve the Cornish language community as a whole and not merely the ideology of a section of the community. The SWF attempts to accomodate today's varying ideologies by incorporating Main, Traditional, Middle and Late variants. However, due to the hierachical nature of variation within the SWF, this is implemented in a prejudiced and unegalitarian fashion. This is a recipe for future strife.
Within the Cornish language community there are competing othoepies. The SWF needs to facilitate the generation of each pronunciation-variety unambiguously and in an egalitarian manner. This is by no means impossible. In fact KS already does this.
Ol an gwella,
Jon