[Spellyans] Treysy

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 10:52:26 GMT 2014

Given Nicholas's take that 'treysy' means 'starlings,' the full meaning in the verse from BM would be: 'I will crush them under my feet just like starlings.'

A gruesomely implausible simile, that!

I presume that Ray could read 'tros, pl. tryjy, treyjy. starling' in Nance's dictionaries just like all the rest of us can, and that he rejected that translation as being ludicrous in this context. Hence, his interesting suggestion of a 'lost plural' for 'tres.'

Eddie Climo

Sent from my iPad

> On 2014 Du 30, at 12:04, Nicholas Williams <njawilliams at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I take treysy to be the plural of tros 'starling, small bird'. Cf. troet turtur (for turdus 'sparrow') OCV and Lhuyd trodzhan 'starling'.
> Nicholas
>

>> On 30 Nov 2014, at 09:41, Ray Chubb <ray at spyrys.org> wrote:
>>
>> Stokes suggest that that 'treysy' means 'grains of sand'

Ray's full message was:
I've been studying Whiteley Stokes' edition of Beunans Meriasek, at line 2399 is found: poren kepar ha treysy . Stokes suggest that that 'treysy' means 'grains of sand'. I have given this some thought and I am more inclined to believe that this is a lost or alternative plural for the the word; 'tres' mean a track or an imprint.

So the full meaning in the verse would be; 'I will crush them under my feet just like imprints.'