[Spellyans] Treysy

Linus Band linusband at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 16:59:20 GMT 2014

Are there any other attestations for 'starling' besides Lhuyd? I ask this
because *trodzhan* appears to be a singulative and therefore would suggest
the plural *troos.* If we'd be talking about multiple individual starlings
one would expect something like *trosennow. *
For the Breton evidence I can find sg. *tred *'starling' pl*. tridi *in
Favereau's online dictionary, but it would be interesting to see what the
plural is in all the dialects. It does not appear in the old Atlas
Linguistique (I can't find it, at least), but perhaps the new one? I ask
this because the online Favereau does mention something about a singulative
form (I'll check my proper copy in the office tomorrow), but is a bit
obscure about what it means.
As for the meaning 'grains of sand', Stokes appears to have analysed
*treysy* as being a plural of the noun that we find in Breton as
*traez* 'sand',
but the problem here is that this word actually occurs in Cornish as
*treth* 'beach'
(cf. Welsh *traeth*). So, we can write that off, definitely.
I'd also like to explore the possibility of interpreting *treysy* as the
plural of *tres *'track'. Does *tres* occur in the traditional corpus? I
haven't been able to find any attestations of the plural *tresow*, so that
slot would be open at least. If the singular is a modern coining taken over
from Breton *tres*, however, it would make the interpretation of *treysy* as
'tracks' far less likely.

Best,
Linus