[Spellyans] Cornish for 'animal'

Linus Band linusband at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 17:48:17 GMT 2014

I see the point of the plural **bestys* not existing presenting a problem,
but would it be possible that original plural *-ys* in this word was
replaced with *-as/-es*? It appears to have been quite a common plural used
for animals, e.g. *cathas *'cats', *kyrwas *'stags', *enyvalles *'animals',
so I wouldn't be surprised if the word was nativised.
I can't offer any explanation for the spellings, *trest* for *trist* and
*chrest(e)* for *christ*, and it appears that at least some kind of
lowering has taken place and perhaps, as you suggest, shortening. I myself
have always wondered whether the fluctuation between *e* and *y* in Cornish
may have had something to do with how close the sounds [e] <e> and [ɪ] <y>
are.
The problem with including *bêst* in this shortening would be that it would
have taken place during the earlier stages of Proto-British, which is
*very* early.
So early that we would expect that something like this would also have
taken place in Welsh and Breton, but these show respectively *trist/trist*,
*Crist/Krist* and *bwyst/-* (*bwyst* does not appear to have a counterpart
in Breton, which may show that this loanword from Latin did not survive in
South-West British). I am therefore inclined to favour the interpretation
that native *-as/-es* was adopted for the English loanword *bêst*.

Oll an gwella,
Linus