[Spellyans] Cornish for 'animal'

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 18:19:36 GMT 2014

It is also of course possible that the frequency of Latin bestia in the Bible, particularly in Apocalypsis/Revelation
meant that the expected phonetic development of best- > *boyst- did not occur.
The predominant plural ending -as of best seems to me to be very significant.
Other native words e.g. flogh, have plurals in -es, -as, -ys and -is.
That best has only -as and -es is remarkable and suggests to me the word was not borrowed from ME.

Nicholas