[Spellyans] Treysy

Linus Band linusband at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 20:18:58 GMT 2014

While going through Middle Welsh poetry today I came across *Gwawt Lud y
mawr*, a somewhat obscure prophetic poem dated to the 11thcentury (?) by
Marged Haycock (*Llyfr Taliesin: Astudiaethau ar Rai Agweddau, Traethawd
PhD* (Prifysgol Cymru Aberystwyth, 1983) 468). In this poem there is talk
about a starling being brought forth to startle a flock of ravens, which,
given the context, may be a figure for the Welsh (i.e. starling) vs. the
Vikings (i.e. ravens) (Haycock, *Prophecies from the Book of Taliesin
*(Aberystwyth,
2013) 124).

If starlings were a more widespread poetic way to refer to Britons, could
it perhaps be that the words uttered by Teudar carry a double meaning: 1)
tiny birds that considering their petite size might be crushable under
feet, 2) Britons?

This may be a long shot, however, since there are four to five centuries
between the composition of BM and the poem mentioned above and I have no
idea whether Britons could be poetically referred to as starlings, and how
widespread this usage would have been.

Thought I'd share this wild train of though with you :)

Oll an gwella,

Linus