[Spellyans] 'behind' in Cornish

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sat Jul 5 18:02:06 IST 2014

Nicholas,

I've been wandering about the pronunciation of ‹a dhelergh›, and I agree with your assessment that it appears to have been stressed on the penultimate syllable. Look at the attestations {a theller (BM, JJ), a thellar (TH), a thillar (TH), adhellhar (Lh), a dhelhar (Lh), adhelhar (Lh)}. Gendall proposes the pronunciation [ɒˈðɛlʰəɹ], George has [aðe̜ˈle̜rx], Nance appears to recommend penultimate stress, you, Nicholas have in your UCR dictionary both penultimate stress (assumed because unmarked) and ultimate stress (marked) in ‹dhelergh›. KS has [əˈðɛləɹx].

It is interesting that the attestations show the varying graphs ‹e› and ‹a› in the final syllables, which may indicate schwa and thus stress on the penultimate. On the other hand there is also the variation ‹e› ~ ‹i› in the penultimate syllable (which often occurs in stressed syllables) indicating this indeed should be the stressed syllable.
A further interesting aspect is that none of the attestations show final /x/, but rather metathesis of final /x/ to the medial /l/. A more appropriate spelling in Revived Cornish may be ‹adhelher› or ‹adhylher›. What do you think?

Dan