[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 10:18:18 IST 2014

Whoops!

Thank you very much, Janice and Jon.
I was completely mistaken. Mea maxima culpa.  Handereu and kendereu are attested as you say
in Pryce and Borlase.
I was led astray by Nance 1938 who puts Lh[uyd] after canderu; he does not mention
either Pryce or Borlase. I should have checked but usually when Nance writes his source
he is correct.

The form kenderow is attested.
Since both Borlase and Pryce give 'cousin german' as the meaning
it is not unlikely that they have ultimately the same source.
We have no other evidence for the word.
We do not know at what period it was in use.
The feminine form kenytherow is not apparently attested.

Cosyn is attested a number of times in the texts and has an attested plural.

Can I ask, what people think about the relative merits of kenderow and cosyn
as the ordinary word for 'cousin'?

Nicholas