[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 12:57:33 IST 2014

English cousin derives ultimately from Latin consobrinus/consobrina < *kom-swesrin- 'offspring of two sisters'.
Pryce's HANDERU is slightly curious in phonology. Borlase gives Kendereu A. Is this for Kendereu A[r], i.e. Breton? This is kenderv in modern orthography.
If it is genuine Cornish, the final -eu certainly looks like Old Cornish.
The reason I posted anything on 'cousin' was that I have just translated a well-known English novel into Cornish,
in which the word cousin occurs frequently; both for males and females.
I have used cosyn, cosyns throughout.

Nicholas