[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 17:33:18 IST 2014

I wonder about that, Jon.
Of the two sources Borlase (1758) is earlier than Pryce (1790).
Borlase gives:
Kendereu, A. a Cousin-german.
I assume that A. here is for Ar[morican].
This looks as though it has been taken from the following two entries in Lhuyd:

Consobrinus…A Cousin-German; A. Kenderu AB: 50c-51a

Patruelis…A Cousin-german, brother's children. Ar. Kenderu, kompes AB: 114c

Pryce's
HANDERU (ACB Q 2 b verso) is, as you say, likely to be a misreading for Lhuyd's Kenderu from Lhuyd himself or from Borlase.

If these two points are valid, then Kenderu is Breton, not Cornish.
Handeru is a misreading of the Breton word.
There is no attested Cornish word for 'cousin' apart from cosyn.

Nicholas