[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Jul 22 18:44:10 IST 2014

We're back to the knotty problem.  Sources of attestation on Cornish are so limited.  However, if Lhuyd included <kenderu>, then that must mean that he, or his colleagues, heard it here in Cornwall.  If A. stands for Armorican, it need not mean that the word is exclusive to Brittany, but is also a feature of that language.

Where Nance got the plural of the word from is a mystery.  His 1938 dictionary usually indicates where a word has been reconstructed or assumed, but his entry for that does not do so.  It may have been a guess on his part but - as we know from BK - several of his guesses have turned out to have been very good ones.

I suggest that <kenderow> and <cosyn> both be accepted into revived Cornish, to be used according to personal preference.

Craig