[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Thu Jul 24 16:28:27 IST 2014

Jon you ignore those who were brought up speaking Cornish as a first
language.

They have not learnt Cornish as an academic exercise, the just speak
Cornish. I was talking to a Welsh speaker in Wales a couple of years
ago and said that Welsh seems to have simplified the grammar compared
to Cornish. His reply was, 'I wouldn't know anything about that I just
speak it'.

We are in the same position with Cornish. If I started using 'cosyn'
all the time instead of 'kenytherow' I would get some odd looks from
my sons. In fact on some occasions when they were younger, if I tried
to introduce the odd 'improvement', the response would be something
like;  'Pyth? ... Aa! Nicholas Williams'. So don't try to say that a
first language speaker would hardly notice a change.

Therefore if you try to change things too quickly you will leave
behind the first language speakers. Some may say that there are so
few, does it matter?

People who say this need to listen to first language speakers; their
Cornish is spoken in an entirely different way to nearly all second
language speakers so, yes, it does matter.

On 24 Gor 2014, at 13:44, Jon Mills wrote:

> Certain expressions and usages may have erroneously become adopted
> by today's Cornish speakers. However I do not believe that we cannot
> correct this. Since every Cornish speaker today learns Cornish as a
> second language, one only has to correct the pedagogical materials
> to rectify the situation.
> Jon

Ray Chubb

Portreth