[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Jul 24 17:40:25 IST 2014

My feeling is that we have two facets of this question:

1) Academic study of Cornish is essential, and has its rightful place within the sphere of academia.  It informs and instructs and that will always be needed.

2) We are fine-tuning a language which was resuscitated 100 years ago, and is in increasingly extensive use, especially since it gained protected status in 2002.  "Speak Cornish Week", currently hosted by MAGA, has been living proof of that this week, with video offerings on Facebook from 3-year olds to old duffers like me.   This is a language for the present and future.  It may be replete with mistakes and misconceptions but, there again, so are modern spoken and written English.  The case of English is probably greatly more dire than the Cornish situation, with grammar, spelling and even meaning being all over the place.  Many of these words being listed as "incorrect" are long-established in the revival and that is unlikely to change now.  Those words have become accepted, and we must accept that they are in common use, and are likely to remain in place.

Craig