[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Tue Jul 29 11:15:14 IST 2014

The real value of listening to first language speakers is in hearing
the overall flow of the language. This makes their speech
indistinguishable from someone speaking a language that has not
undergone a revival.

I remember hearing a BBC interview in Welsh the difference in the
sound of the language between the interviewer and the uneducated
interviewee was marked.

With regard to pronunciation, we can never be absolutely sure. For
example a pronunciation 'you' but a tad shorter, for 'yu/yw' could be
correct. I don't thing the 'yooo', as in ewe a sheep, of older Unified
speakers can be correct, neither do I think the exaggerated, almost
guttural, 'eeoo' of some Common Cornish speakers is correct.