[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 16:26:56 IST 2014

Drez liklaud, sôz! :) Mind you, the poor time-travellers would have to adopt our modern 'Allo-Allo' accent/lexicon/idiom etc. if they wanted to be understood.

Perhaps fortunately, there are no working time machines outside of Science Fiction, so we don't have to worry about them, or the old chestnuts sometimes raised, like "Would Dolly Pentreath understand us?" and "What about the scholars of Glasney?"

Personally, I'm fed up with hearing the few *learners* who set themselves up as 'experts' in the Revival—some of whom don't even speak Kernewek, or write it, or teach it, abarth an pla!—endlessly telling all the other learners that they shouldn't use this pronunciation, or that word, or such and such a spelling/idiom/construction. And they do the same for some of the marvellous writers of the 20th century: slandering the likes of Nance and Gendall, having the effrontery to issue bowdlerised 'corrected' editions of works by such talented Kernewegoryon as Myghal 'Perghyryn' Palmer and A.S.D. 'Caradar' Smith. Fy dhedha ha rak meth!

In the English speaking world, such self-important pedants are largely treated to a complete ignoral by the wider population, and left to get on with their fatuous fixations on their own.

It's long past time we started doing the same with Cornish.

Eddie Climo