[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 29 20:27:14 IST 2014

Eddie's point about the 'headstart' that the Cymry Digymraeg had is exactly
what I had in mind but rather more clumsily expressed. Perhaps I should have
said that at some instinctual level, having internalised so much of the
syntax and vocabulary of the old language, these present day 'native'
speakers are able to mimic with greater accuracy the prerevived rhythyms and
lilts , even if the pronunciation and lexicon is not 100% exactly right!
I'm not sure I had Chomsky in mind at all with this observation as I cannot
say his 'transformational-generative' theory entirely convinces me- as much
of it as I ever properly understood, admittedly! Sydney Lamb's approach and
his successors seemed to me to capture the actual linguistic processes of
the brain more interestingly- though just as mind numbingly horrendous for
ordinary mortals like myself to grasp as Chomsky! Think I'll stick to 'old
fashioned' practical grammar- verbs, nouns, conjugations, declensions,
parsing and word order- that sort of thing!

Ewan