[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 10:22:49 IST 2014

Crudely stated a rising diphthong starts with a semivowel and ends in a vowel. If you say eeOO with the emphasis on the second part, that is a rising diphthong and sounds rather like English you. It is described as rising because it goes from a less sonorous part to a more sonorous part.
If you say EEoo with the emphasis on the first part, that sounds rather like South Welsh yw, or Cornish yw as it was probably pronounced. That is a falling diphthong.
A rising diphthong is so called because it rises from the weak and less sonorous part (semivowel) to the stronger and more sonorous part. A falling diphthong is the other way round.
In English the diphthong in house [aw] is falling, but in few [ju]  is rising.
The diphthongs in Cornish in may 'so that, where', gweyth 'time, occasion', saw 'but', pow 'country', lies 'many' are all falling because the sonorous part precedes the less sonorous part. The first syllable of ûsya 'to use' on the other hand seems according to Lhuyd to have been a rising diphthong [juzi@].
Perhaps Michael could explain this in a more technical fashion for us all.

Nicholas