[Spellyans] leveryans Kernowek - Cornish pronunciation (ex: The Cornish for 'cousin')

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Jul 30 12:12:25 IST 2014

On Jul 29, 2014, at 9:11 PM, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> I saw it, Thomas, and thought you did a decent job.

I fully agree.

> Some fluent speakers do worse in my view. Too many sound like English folk speaking an unfamiliar language; rounded Os,  "rudh" pronounced "roodh", and with an unnatural delivery. Dan (although Austrian) is the best in the videos submitted for "Speak Cornish Week"  (I had a crack at it, too!)
> Craig

Thank you for your kind compliment, Craig. I'm very strongly influenced by Richard Gendall's pronunciation and delivery. Before I was able to string words together to a complete sentence in Cornish I had often listened to Gendall's audio tapes to get a sense of the sound and melody of his pronunciation.

> On 2014 Gor 29, at 19:39, Thomas Leigh wrote:
>> {...}
>> I don’t know if anyone on this list has seen my short video for Speak Cornish Week, but I would be interested to know how my current spoken Cornish sounds to fluent Cornish speakers in Cornwall. Does anything in it sound “properly” Cornish to you? What sounds “off” or not Cornish?

It sounds great! Fluent and 'like a real language' ;-)