[Spellyans] The Cornish for 'cousin'

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Wed Jul 30 12:21:37 IST 2014

On Jul 29, 2014, at 2:42 PM, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2014, at 13:13, Eddie Climo <eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> To be blunt, the arguments of (self-styled) academic  'experts' on this issue would be much more convincing if they could speak Kernewek and sound like Kernowyon rather than foreigners.
>
> Having re-read this observation, I should perhaps clarify that I didn't have in mind Kernewegoryon whose roots are in other Celtic countries. They tend to bring a delightful flavour to the language, as does (saw dha revrons, mata!) the charming soft Austrian 'sawor' that tinges Dan's excellent pronunciation—always a pleasure to listen to!
> Eddie Climo.

Eddie,

Thanks, I had a good little laugh at this one, no doubt intended as a compliment, but I now have serious doubts about the interpretation of what you hear ;-) There is very little Austrian 'sawor' in my German let alone my Cornish ;-) ! I'm born to an English mother whose grandparents were Irish, so I also fall into your first category as well. We actually spoke English at home, so I'm a native speaker of English as much as the rest of you!

My main model for pronunciation, as I have written before, was Richard Gendall. I listen to his tapes accompanying the course book "Curnooack Hethow" up and down and also have is "Kernuak en Chy" and "The Language of Our Cornish Forefathers". Sadly, I don't think he ever made an audio accompaniment to his excellent "Tavas a Ragadazow".