[Spellyans] Chomskyan linguistics

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 30 17:31:26 IST 2014

Apologies for perhaps inadvertantly sparking a  linguistics spat!
However I would have to agree with Michal that 'T-G centric' linguistics was
indeed the bane of the subject back in the late 70s/early 80s.
To show the disproportionate time alloted to his 'school' , let me say that
in four years of a Linguistic course, we studied Chomsky's theories right
through those four years. T-G was inescapable. In contrast we skimmed over
the existence of the other major schools, mostly under the rubric of the
History of Linguistics and not specifically looking at the schools per se.
We did a second year module in Systemic Grammar. At Honours level a whole,
obligatory paper was devoted to T-G. No other School got such attention.
Lamb's Stratifactional theory got a very minor look in as part of half of an
optional paper, as was Case Grammar, if memory serves me right. To me this
seemed a very imbalanced way to present the subject up to Hons level.
Diachronic linguistics got scant attention. However Practical Phonetics and
Phonology did get more of a look in our course than what it did elsewhere, I
believe.
I agree with Michael's criticism that the 'intuitive' emphasis of Universals
that Chomsky so stressed did lead to neglect in vital field work. It is a
criticism others have voiced.
I also am unconvinced by aspects of the 'deep to surface' structures that
Chomsky posits.He's had to tweak or 'refine' it so often to the point that
major planks of the original have been undermined. Fair enough - that's what
science is all about, but it is a pity this one school was/is still(?) seen
as so essential for qualification as a 'professional' philologist.
In the long run, Lamb's ideas seem to have had more mileage. Geoffrey
Sampson's book that Michael mentions is a fascinating, independent minded
insight into the whole field and not too abstruse or technical for us more
average minded mortals!
Ewan