[Spellyans] SWF review results.

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 10:41:58 GMT 2014

I not sure a hands off policy will work. Really I think Jon has hit the
nail on the head. It is time to rock the boat. A simple rejection of the
SWF in its proposed form, by Agan Tavas, would suffice to put the cat
amongst the pigeons. You wouldn't have to say never, just to say that the
SWF is an unacceptable orthography because of x, y and z. The SWF only has
relevance if it is a consensus orthography. Unfortunately without parity
for traditional graphs and the move towards consolidation of the KK
aspects, it fails to be of any utility for those of us who would wish to
use a traditional orthography.

If it is allowed to continue without immediate and explicit challenge than
the only outcome in the medium term (the next twenty years) is Jon's option
1. Traditional orthographies will be a splintered hobbyist way of spelling
Cornish and the mainstream will use the KK form. We will have failed
utterly. Waiting for people to see the light will not work. What is
academically acceptable is irrelevant in this scenario. It is the 'boots on
the ground' that count

If, as I suspect, very few others here *want* to use it in its current
form, then that needs to be flagged up. I simply won't use it and I know
there are at lest a few more people here that feel that way too. We need a
larger group to represent our position and to fight for a traditional
orthography. Otherwise we are easily dismissed individually as malcontents.
Perhaps you could poll your members and see what their feelings are? That
would be interesting.

It may be that they are in favour of capitulation, in which case I won't
stress over it any more and will visit the grave of traditional Cornish
every time I come home whilst trying not to look at the hideous caricature
of Cornish daubed on the road signs.

Christian