[Spellyans] SWF review results.

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Mar 27 13:24:11 GMT 2014

I've always said the same thing, Ken.   Surviving textual Cornish is limited and, therefore, we have to include place-name history in that category, although some disagree.

After about 1600, we need to be careful, though.  Before that date, the records tend to be locally sourced: Pipe Rolls, Assize Rolls, etc., but after 1600, there is an ever-increasing amount of spelling from non-Cornish sources.  Many of these wrote what they THOUGHT they heard, not what they were actually being told by local people, hence some of the terrible mistakes on Tithe Maps c.1840, and the Ordnance Survey.  Just one example:  "Scarrabine" (St Endellion) is actually Roscarrek Bian.   How Boslowen ever became Bellowal (Paul) is a mystery!

Craig