[Spellyans] taste

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Sun Nov 23 01:29:51 GMT 2014

Folks,

I am not sure that one would say "stinking with a smell". There would be
no point in that.

Surely, this is saying "stinking with a flavour". Pilot could taste the
body at a distance, and wanted it out.

I think that <blas> means "flavour" which has both "taste" and
"smell"... in this case, a very bad one. However, maybe it could be used
for a good "flavour" too. As <blas> is found only once, there is
insufficient evidence.

In the examples that have been given by Nicholas, <tastya> means
"sampling (by mouth)" or "experiencing", and are not concerned directly
with the senses of "taste" and "smell".

I suppose "a taste" meaning "a sample" or "short experience" would be
<tastyans>. However, if it is a formal sample, we might say <sampel> or
<darn dewys> ("selected portion").

In English, "a taste" also means "a preference" (nearly), as in "He has
good taste" / "He has good preferences", <decernyans>.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim